1.16.2009

The story of Christianah

I just read a very disturbing story. I have heard about it on the radio,but reading it was worse. A Christian teacher named, Christianah Oluwasein worked at a government run school in the Northern part of Nigeria,Africa. Before giving a final exam to her class of girls, she took up book bags so there could be no cheating. This upset one girl to the point of tears,then rage. She was upset because the teacher had "desecrated" the Quran that was inside of her bag, by touching the bag. The whole class became outraged. They started shouting "Allahu Akbar" meaning God is great. Another teacher got Christianah out of the classroom and took her to the Principal's office. Soon Radical Muslims nearby heard the outrage and came to see what was going on. They were told what Christianah had "done". So they dragged Christianah out of the school,clubbed her to death,and set her body on fire. She left behind a husband,Femi,and 2 children,a son and daughter. I was saddened and angered by this. Her husband spoke with VOM and told them it was very hard,but he still had his children.

This just shook me. She wasn't witnessing to anyone. She wasn't trying to win anyone over to Christ. She simply was being a teacher and for that she was murdered. Wow. I am holding my tongue.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. - II Corinthians 12:9

When I read the stories of the persecuted Christians, I think of this verse. Wow. I know most of them know it by heart. They live by it. Lord, forgive me when I complain of my problems. He cares about my problems too,I know,but I do not have it as bad as some do. I think Americans should really realize that sometimes. I mean, we aren't having to die for our faith,that is yet.

Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: - I Peter 4:12

I think of this verse too. I cannot imagine going through what some of these people go through. Your house being burned,you or your family being beaten or even killed,simply because you are a Christian. Wow. I cannot empathize with them,but I can sympathize.

If you would like to know more about persecuted Christians go to
Voice of Martyrs and to write a letter to the imprisoned go to Prisoner Alert.

Blessings!

3 comments:

LAURIE said...

Wow that is incredble. We often times forget (or don't want to hear) that we have martyrs today giving their lives for taking a stand!Thanks for sharing this...Laurie

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Oh wow! What a story! You are right. We do not know what it is to suffer in this country. May we be ever grateful of the liberties & blessings we have. Thanks for sharing my friend! I hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is a horrible story! I'm just in shock from reading it. Just wow. I subscribe to VOM too! I love getting it. It really makes me realize how blessed I am to have freedom with my faith.

RYC: A lot has happened since I sent that email. Are you still on Bloop, I've updated about it all on there. I'll probably write about it here soon, I just haven't yet. My name on Bloop is Miss Bright Side. If you are over there.