9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
Colossians 1:9-12
I read this passage yesterday. Then I read something that Charles Stanley wrote concerning it. I wanted to share it.
In seven requests Paul covers every area of our lives that needs the daily touch of God:
- May we be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding(v.9). Ask God to fill you with the spiritual understanding you need as you walk in His will and study His Word.
- May we walk in a manner worthy of the Lord Jesus Christ (v.10). Jesus lived a blameless life, exactly what we should pursue.
- May we please God in all respects (v.10). Paul encourages believers to live a life pleasing to God and to excel in their Christian walk.
- May we bear fruit in every good work (v. 10). We prove we are Jesus' disciples when we bear fruit.
- May we increasingly grow in the knowledge of God (v.10). We should ask for more and more knowledge from His tremendous resources.
- May we be strengthened with all might,according to His glorious power (v.11). Ask God to strengthen you to do His will for His glory- and He will do it.
- May our lives express joyous thanks to the Father for His grace to us (v. 12). Our love for Him should run so deep that we can't help but give glory and honor to Him.
I thought this was very helpful. I love anything just about from Charles Stanley. This morning I woke up earlier than Daniel finally! The last few nights he's not been sleeping good,which causes me not to sleep good. So I haven't been getting up earlier than him,but last night he slept good. Thank You,Lord! I was so happy! So I got up earlier than him,but not as early as I wanted. I did get to do my study first thing and pray for the day and various things. It felt so refreshing and wonderful! I've been doing it during his nap,but really want to do it in the mornings. So I am hoping I can start doing it then,if not I will during his naps. I started reading at Galatians a few weeks ago and now I'm in Colossians. I'm going to share some more from that book.
13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14 in whom we have redemption through His blood,[c] the forgiveness of sins. Colossians 13-14
21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled 22 in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight— 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister. - Colossians 1:21-23
We are to live above reproach,I've always heard that preached. I just never knew it was in the scriptures.
6 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, 7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it[a] with thanksgiving. - Colossians 2:6-7
I love these verses! After we receive Christ we are to be rooted and built up in him. We start as small seeds and are go grow as olive trees as the scriptures says many times.
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ,[a] for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”[b] - Romans 1:16-17
I also love these verses. In the past, I said I wasn't ashamed of the Gospel,but did I share it? Not all the time,therefore I was ashamed. The Gospel is the only thing that will lead you to salvation. No. Other. Way. So many are led astray,even in our Christian world. Verse 17, is a particular favorite. If we don't have to live by faith,what do we live for? If we know how everything will turn out,then we don't need faith. Faith is what keeps us going. Knowing that someone else knows what the future holds. So have faith. It is said so much today,but the meaning is very deep.
Here is something else from Charles Stanley:
The Spirit-filled life is a life of faith. It started by faith and it runs on faith. It is faith from start to finish.
Then we believed that Jesus saved us from the guilt of sin; now we must believe that He saves us from the power of sin. Then we trusted Him for forgiveness and it became ours; now we must trust Him for righteousness and it shall become ours also. Then we took Him as a Savior from the penalties of our sins; now we must take Him as a Savior from the bondage of our sins. Then He lifted up out of the pit; now He seats us in heavenly places with Himself.
Have a wonderful Sunday!










3 comments:
Those are some of my favorite passages that you shared. I love also how it covers so many areas and is a passage we can pray for ourselves or others directly from God's Word. I get up before my children and do my Bible reading in the morning and it works wonderful for me. There is no right or wrong, whatever works for you is great, but it seems like the morning routine sets the tone for the day! Thanks for sharing a beautiful devotion.
Very moving scriptures! I love reading your enrtries like this. I agree with you about the meaning of faith. It does run deep, and in our world today i think the true meaning of faith tends to get lost.
Hi Heather,
Came by after reading your comment on my post tonight and I wanted to let you know that I will be praying with you. I have added your name to my daily prayer list. I have been where you are - being married 27 years, and finding myself pregnant only 6 months into the marriage, you can guess we went thru some rough patches. As I look back over all of it, I am so thankful for it, as all of the difficulties have made me what I am today. I was thinking earlier tonight about how different we all would be if we didn't ever have any trials, tests, tribulations....we would never need to depend upon Gods grace, His provision, His strength, His power.
When the banks call us on a due loan - GOD IS AWAYS FAITHFUL.
When the doctor calls with a bad report - GOD IS ALWAYS FAITHFUL.
When the boss calls us in his office with a layoff - GOD IS ALWAYS FAITHFUL.
Trust Him Heather...HE IS ALWAYS FAITHFUL!
-love, Laurie
Post a Comment