I am still reading Created To Be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl. I'm on chapter 13 called The Great Mystery. She starts off with his verses: "This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband." Ephesians 5:32-33. In the beginning of this chapter she is talking about how we are supposed to reverence our husband and how our marriage reflects Christ and his Bride. I truly believe that and do believe that was the intention of God when He created Adam and Eve for marriage. Of course, along with other intentions,which are stated in Genesis 1:27-28 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. " Debi makes this statement, 'Submission reverence,and honor are virtues God seeks to establish in His Son's Bride. Your marriage to your husband is preparing you for your marriage with Christ.' How true is this! We learn how to relate to our husband the way we relate to God and vice versa. We're even told in Ephesians 5:22 "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord."
Being married to our husband is preparing us for service and marriage to Christ. Wow that just really sunk in with me last night. When I honor and reverence my husband, I am doing so to Christ. How amazing is that? Debi always says this, 'Knowing that my role as a wife typifies the Church's relationship to Christ has molded my life. As I reverence my husband, I am creating a picture of how we, the Church, should reverence Christ.' I never looked deep in the reverence issue,as I did the submission. Now, are we to worship him as God? Why heavens no! That would be against the first commandment in Exodus 203-6, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. " Reverence means to "revere, to be in awe; fear mingled with respect and esteem.
We are to respect our husbands and hold them in high esteem. Through my salvation I've learned most of the time we cannot go on our feelings. Oh boy, those will get us in trouble! Sometimes I may not want to hold my husband in high esteem or respect him if he says something that hurts my feelings. What if he forgets my birthday,anniversary,or Valentine's Day? Doesn't that ruffle your feathers? We still, I still, have to reverence him,respect him,and honor him. Debi touches on the feelings issue. She says, 'Obedience,submission,and reverence are all acts of the will and are not based on feelings. Showing deference toward one's husband is an act of reverence toward the God who placed you in that role.' She goes on time define obedience,submission,and reverence in her own words, 'Obedience is doing what you know the other person wants you to do. Submission is your heart giving over to the other person's will. Reverence is more than just doing what a man expects or demands. It is an act of the woman's will to treat him with a high degree of regard and awe.' Pretty simple and true I think. So do you reverence your husband? In what ways? He's human too. He may say things sometimes that are not God honoring,but don't you? Don't I? We cannot look at him as if we're always holy and pure in heart. That is prideful and much like the Pharisees did.
On another note related to marriage I will go. This is why I strongly believe legalizing same-sex marriage is so dangerous. How does that represent Christ and his Bride?! It doesn't. God doesn't condone homosexuality by any means. He loves the person,but he hates the sin. He calls man lying with man an abomination,see for yourself. "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." Leviticus 18:22. Some have stated that same-sex couples marrying does not threaten their marriage. That's fine if you buy into that lie. It does threaten your marriage. Marriage is a holy sanctioned relationship ordained by God,not men. It is to be between a man and a woman. Not two women or two men. It is a holy picture of Christ and his Bride. The Bride will be redeemed and white as snow and a virgin for her Groom. How can same-sex marriage be so? I really pray for God's continued mercy on this nation,but not sure how much longer mercy will be extended.
Just wanted to post what was on my heart. Thank you for those who read my blog. I am blessed by you.
Thanksgiving Pictures
-
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving! This is all of the pictures,but it's the
best ones! Daniel had fun with his cousins,Grandparents,Aunts,and Uncles.
Aaron j...
16 years ago










2 comments:
Some have stated that same-sex couples marrying does not threaten their marriage. That's fine if you buy into that lie. It does threaten your marriage."
I'm not sure what you mean by this. How does same-sex couples marrying threaten my marriage? Because I can assure you, my marriage is most certainly strong and unshakable and not at all threatened by the choices others make. :) Would you mind explaining why you believe our marriages are personally threatened by same-sex marriage? Just curious what you mean here.
Good word!
I might add, one of the moments where I find myself most vulnerable to failing to revere my husband is moments after I have managed to willfully obey, submit, and respect... only to have him not notice, misinterpret, or fail to respond to my satisfaction. As we are greeted at the top of your page - press forward! It's not something that we're going to accomplish and say "there, I did it".
Post a Comment