11.17.2008

At the Well- Standing For Your Marriage

I did not get to post early like I usually do for At the Well. It's been a busy day and I'm just getting around to bloggy land. Chelsey is our hostess today. She is talking about standing for your marriage,which is an awesome topic. She shared some great insight on marriages that may struggle in certain areas. She talks about what it means to stand for our marriage. Standing for my marriage means showing my husband the love of Christ and submitting to him as I do the Lord. It means dressing modestly so I do not entice other men and to show interest in my husband romantically. It means to defend the home front when he is not home through what I let come on our radio,t.v.,my mouth,and my mind. It means showering him with love,adoration,and respect. It means to support him in what he does and not to down his dreams and expectations. We are coming up on our 2 year wedding anniversary and I am just so blessed. I will never forget that cold day on December 4th.

I'm learning to listen more and when I think I know more to just be silent. I married Mike because I trust him to hear God's voice. If I think he isn't, I should talk to my Father about it. I am also learning that I can't react according to Mike's actions. Mike just isn't a sensitive guy. He is very blunt and honest. Sometimes it can hurt people's feelings,including me. He tries not too,but sometimes he does. He has a hard time expressing his feelings and usually when he does he says it hurts someone,so he just doesn't express them. So I am learning that I have to keep that in mind and instead of just running to the bathroom crying,I should let him know that hurt my feelings. 90 % of the time he doesn't even know he hurt my feelings. He says he can't read my mind and I usually try to hide my feelings,I know very bad. I just watched my Mother do it for so long that I do it. We haven't been married long,but we have had bumps in the road,thankfully they weren't too big. I've never thought of leaving my husband nor him doing that to me. So I thank God everyday that we haven't been in those shoes. God is showing me to just be silent and not have to get the last word in on conversations or disagreements. I want to honor God in my marriage and that means honoring my husband. I have to be filled up by the Holy Spirit each day, so I can pour out to my husband. If I am dry,then it is not good for my husband. I cannot do it alone in the sense of not having Christ's strength.

Here are some questions Chelsey asked:

What does commitment in marriage mean? Commitment meant just what the vows say. For better or worse,for richer or poorer. The days when he drives me up the wall, I still won't leave him. The days when he has hurt my feelings, I still will love him. I chose to commit my life to Mike as his wife, it wasn't forced on me.

What kind of wife are we called to be to our husbands? The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. Titus 2:3-5. I am to be a submissive,chaste,sober,loving wife for my husband. This verse is the best one I can find to describe my role,duty,obligation,whatever you like to call it. That pretty much sums it up. I can't base how I should act on how he acts.

What are ways that we can Biblically stand for our marriage? We can pray our our husband and our marriage. That is the best thing to do. Sometimes saying something to our husbands about an issue or attitude won't change things,but pray always does! I find that is the best thing for me to do. We can also encourage our husbands with kind words. When they through an idea out there that maybe far fetched(like my husband does), we can listen and not just bash it. We can encourage them in the Lord when they are down in their walk or down due to their job. Find something that makes your husband happy and do it.

I am sorry I haven't gotten around to reading any one's blogs lately. I'll try to get to it this week,it's just been busy. Don't forget to check out Chelsey @ Joyfully Living For His Glory.

2 comments:

Joyfull said...

You are learning so quickly the ways of a godly wife. It took me so long to "get it", not that I have arrived, but learning to please my husband, guard my home and shower him with love, are just some of the things you mentioned which are so important. May your marriage always be blessed!

Sunny Shell said...

I like your new profile pic! Daniel is really getting big! They grow so fast! And look at all that hair! WOW! He's such a cutie! :-)

Yes, our husband's can't read our minds....most times, I can't read my own...so why should I expect my husband to, right? :-)

Biblical submission is tough, but it can only be achieved through the wife dying to self and living fully only in Christ Jesus who alone knows what true submission is as He gave up His life that we might live. Amen? He's our awesome and wonderful Savior!

Bless you sweet one,
Sunny