11.27.2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

This was me last Thanksgiving! Wow, I was having a bad hair day and make up day! ha! I was pretty big by then!




This is me near this Thanksgiving. I forgot my camera when I went to my parents,so I didn't get any this year.




I pray you all had a lovely,blessed Thanksgiving Eve and Day. We sure did! How could we not? We're so abundantly blessed! Yesterday, I decided to go to my parents. Mike wasn't going because he had to be at 4,but I went on with Daniel Paul. Anthoney,Amanda,Tabitha,Marley,Haley,Landon,Ms. Judy(Haley's MIL),my parents,and Granny Eta Mae (Daddy's step Mom) were all there. We had some good eating too! I forgot my camera though,so no pictures! Haley let me take some with her phone(she's got a hi-tech one) and I'll try to post them soon on my picture blog. It was so great seeing Daniel playing with the girls and Landon. He just loves children! We don't do much dishes and such. We had ham,dressing,chicken and dumplings,hillbilly baked beans,green beans,rolls,yams,sweet potatoes,and some desserts. It was a great meal and a wonderful time! Last night I baked my Impossibly Easy French Apple Pie so I wouldn't have to do it this morning. So today we had a ham,corn,rolls,macaroni and cheese and the apple pie. Before we ate, Mike prayed and then I read Psalm 100. We also shared somethings we are thankful for. It was very nice and I want to do it each year! The food was wonderful! The pie was just great! I'll have to post the recipe. I was so excited that Mike loved it! He loves ham more than turkey and I've never done a turkey,so we just had ham. It was a already cooked and sliced one and was very small. Later one we decided to go see his family, he wanted to see him Mama. So we rode over there and ate with them also. His cousin Junior and his family were down from north Mississippi along with Junior's parents. It was fun! Maycie,Brooke,Sadie,Tripp,and Daniel had fun. They always have so much food too! Goodness! Turkeys,hams,dressings,desserts,and much more! I particularly like turkey over ham,so I was a very happy woman! We had a good time,but it was short since Mike had to go into work. So that was our Thanksgiving. It's hard to believe last year Daniel was in my womb and now he is here with us. Wow, he is a blessing indeed!! He is 10 months and 1 day! He ate some sweet potatoes and green beans,which he loved! Now, Christmas is coming up and it should be just as wonderful,if not better!

This was my first official Thanksgiving as a Mother and I'm thankful that I am a Mother. I just wanted to share something I wrote earlier.




And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
II Corinthians 12:9




I'm learning more that God's grace can help me through the days. I used to think doing "big" things for God, was the only time I needed this type of grace or strength. Now, that I'm a Mother I face many challenges and I am realizing I need that type of grace in the "small" things too. Breath by breath I need God's grace. Being a stay at home Mom can be very challenging,along with taking care of your husband and home. You have so much more to consider and you have to rearrange your schedule daily. Knowing that when I am weak,Christ is yet strong is very encouraging. When I fail, he is there to forgive me. When I need encouragement, the Holy Spirit speaks a word to me. Many don't look highly on the role of a Mother anymore. Instead, women are encouraged to pursue a career,leave their kids in daycare, and tell their husband to pick up the slack. They're encouraged to not deprive themselves of wants,needs,and even selfish desires just because they have a small infant at home. I was recently told this by a lady at our home church. Most women in our society bring outside stress that wouldn't be there, if they'd stop running to and fro and just be a wife and Mother. It takes women dying to self and daily asking to be used by God and to be filled with His spirit. When we are strong in ourselves, we can't boast of God. Instead we glory in our own pride and ambition. I wonder and ask God often why can't I get this or that just right? He reminds me that if I got it right every time,I wouldn't need His strength or grace. So this verse is taking new meaning for me. I'm a first time Mom and I mess up daily,but I can be assured God will be strong through me if I allow Him too.

So on this thankful Thursday,though we didn't have the actual blog one. I am very thankful that I am a Mother. I do believe the role of wife and mother are the 2 highest callings. Whether you have biological children or not,you are a Mother. Be thankful! Embrace the calling God has put before you. Love your children,play with your children,teach your children,train your children,and set a Godly example for your children. I want mine to arise and call me blessed one day.





God bless!



Impossibly Easy French Apple Pie


Ingredients Filling:
  • 3 cups sliced peeled apples (3 large) -side note: I used 3 small ones and it was more than enough,hopefully not too much.
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup Original Bisquick mix
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine (softened)
  • 2 eggs



Streusel:
  • 1/2 cup Original Bisquick mix
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts -side note: I didn't use nuts
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons firm butter or margarine



Mixing and Baking Directions:
1. Heat oven to 325 Fahrenheit. Grease 9 inch glass pie plate. In medium bowl, mix apples,cinnamon, and nutmeg; place in pie plate. ( I used a pie crust and it still turned out good)

2. In medium bowl, stir remaining filling ingredients until well blended. Pour over apple mixture in pie plate.

3. In small bowl, mix all streusel ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over filling.

4. Bake 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes and store in refrigerator.

8 comments:

megzie said...

God bless you. Happy thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Those are great thoughts about motherhood and God's grace.

I'm glad you had such a nice Thanksgiving. :)

Liberty said...

This was SO good! It is amazing how God is working on us as we parent. I feel like when I was a teenager and in my early 20s I knew everything and I was SO mature, but the older I get I realize the less I know and the more I realize that I need to depend on God for every little thing.

Hippie Housewife said...

What great thoughts, Heather. :) I love being a wife and a mother; it's sad that those roles are treated with such disdain by those who choose to pursue other things.

I'm glad you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time :)

megzie said...

yep yep. Heather R's bestfriend

momstheword said...

That is a beautiful post (and the pie looks yummy too!). When my children were young, I so wanted to be the "perfect" mom. I struggled with guilt and self-esteem, because my self-esteem was all wrapped up in my home and my kids. And I felt like I failed them everytime I lost my patience, etc. I loved them so much, why couldn't I do better, I thought.

My heart goes out to young mothers because I remember being "in the trenches."

The Lord showed me that my worth was in Him, and that I was never going to be perfect. That if I were, I wouldn't need Him, just like you said.

These moments are so precious, I am glad you are treasuring them. Congrats on your first year as a mother. I have been one for almost 20 years now and I still cherish every day with them (oh, and with hubby too!).

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Sounds like you guys had a great Thanksgiving!

Yes, I realize more and more everyday how much I need His strength to carry on. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Take care my friend!
I hope you have a great weekend!