11.10.2008

At the Well- Getting To Know Me

This morning Chelsey is hosting us at the well. She decided for the subject to be getting to know each other better. I am so glad because I am looking forward to learning more about some of you ladies.

So about Heather. Hmm... Don't run,promise! Let's see. I received Christ when I was 10 years old in my bed with my Mama right beside me. I was baptized Easter Sunday of '97. We attended a small Missionary Baptist church. I really didn't know all I know now. I have grew a lot in my faith and relationship with Jesus. He is precious to me. My parents are still living and married to one another. I have a brother,Anthoney, and a sister,Haley. Both are married with children of their own. My brother has 2 girls and one on the way; my sister has 1 little boy. My family goes to Riverside Full Gospel in Mississippi,where I'm originally from. My brother is Sunday School Superintendent and the Private School Superintendent there. They're all very involved. My Daddy just started going to church and got saved! He started for the first time since 1973 last year. My Mother was patient,loving,and kind towards him. She never nagged him or downed him for not going to church. She simply lived her life for Christ and was submissive to my Daddy. That coupled with lots of prayer and seeing his children and grandchildren serve the Lord brought him to the Lord. It's an awesome testimony! We are ALL so thrilled! He is an amazing man,much like my husband. I only have 2 living Grandparents. My Daddy's Father passed away in 2000,then my Mother's Father passed away in 2002,and my Mother's Mother passed away in 2006. My Daddy's biological Mother and Step-Mom are alive. I have a huge extended family. We are a close family. My Daddy has 5 sisters and 2 brothers,they all have like 3 or more children and most of them have babies now. My Mother has 1 brother with 3 children and they have lots. Her extended family is huge. We're of German descent on both sides. My maiden name is Fryfogle Hahaha try to say it correctly! My Mother's maiden name is Mergenschreor. I am very thankful that I don't have to spell out my last name now haha I love my family!

I've been married for almost 2 years ( December 4th) to my best friend and soul mate,Mike. We met when I was 22 and he was 24,but were not dating or pursuing a relationship at the time. I actually started dating his best friend and he was dating another girl. I was always looking for my prince and knew what I wanted,so I tried fitting every guy I dated into the armour. Wrong idea. I ended up with a lot of heartache and giving a lot of heartache. Oh how I wish I could change that part of my life. I longed for a love that never went away. I dated casually and had some very serious relationships. I was even engaged in 2004. Yep, I knew Trent for 4 months and he proposed,why I said yes, I do not know. It was only by the grace of God that we broke up 2 months later. I just couldn't understand to be patient and God would bring who HE wanted for me. I thought I was. I am a romantic at heart,so that really messed me up while waiting. When I graduated high school I did not go straight to college. I just wanted to be a wife,but had no husband. So I babysat some and stayed at home with my parents. I then went on a mission trip to Honduras in 2003 that changed my life. A heart for missions was birthed in me. While on the trip I got offered a job by a Pastor who had a construction business. I took him up on it and then was led to Southeastern Baptist College in Laurel,MS. I enrolled there for the fall of 2003. Wow, my journey of life really begin there. God had so much in store for me. I was still searching for my husband. On the way of searching for him I made many wonderful friends at college. I got to minister to a group of girls that I will forever hold in my heart. God stretched me there and begin molding me. I was also on the drama team at Riverside Full Gospel called the Joshua Generation. Oh wow, what an experience. That was a special time in my life. We went all over South MS and AL doing drama's and ministering through music. God really grew me and I grew so much in Him. I was still in college and dating a guy that I knew I did not need too. He wasn't a bad guy,but he was not the man God had for me. I was in disobedience for almost a year until I broke it off.

After reading a few books by Eric and Leslie Ludy, I decided I would let God take control of my love life. Fine time too huh? I was 23 by now. I completely fell in love with Jesus and did not focus on finding my husband. I continued in college and on the drama team. The fall of 2005 is when Mike and I begin to date. We had been friends since we meet in 2002 and always kept up with one another. He had married someone he knew he shouldn't have and had a nasty divorce. His wife at the time had committed adultery for the 3 months they were married and seeing the same guy while they were engaged. It was a huge wake up call for him. Reconciling was not an option for her,she just wanted out once he found out about it. He tried to reconcile with her because he said that it was the Biblical thing to do,but she wouldn't. So he just moved on. He believes now that he should had married me to begin with,but God doesn't force His will on us,we choose to follow it or not. Wow, there's so much in our story,oh I wish I had time to explain it all. Maybe one day I can,it may make more sense ha! Mike was a Sheriff's Deputy in the county we both lived in,but had applied for a job with the Alabama Highway Patrol. He got accepted 2 months after we begin dating. So in January of 2006 he went to Selma,AL for 6 months,while only coming home on the weekends and few holidays during the week. We couldn't talk on the phone at all. It was so hard,but drew us so much closer to God and one another. God knew what He was doing,like He always does. I was in my last semester at SBC pursuing my Associates in Business (was there 3 years total) at the same time he was in training. Wow, it was a growing time for us. I graduated May 12,2006 from SBC and on June 2,2006 Mike proposed. I knew he was going to do it and had even went with him to get the ring. I was still so nervous and so was he! He proposed to me in front of the Macaroni Grill before going in to meet with our friends. Oh it was one of the happiest days of my life!! I love that man! He finally graduated from academy on June 22,2006. Wow, that time was over finally and we could start our lives together. We decided to not have a "wedding". I just didn't want to go through all the stress one brings,even a small one. I'm a very odd girl haha We searched for our home and God led us to the perfect apartment for us. I,of course, didn't move in until we got married. On that cold,cold day of December 4th Bro. Lance married us in our apartment with his wife to witness it. It was another happy day of our life!! Oh it was wonderful! I'll never forget that day. He is the love of my life,my best friend,my lover! He is so funny,sweet,caring,discerning,and Godly. I love Mike so much! I am so glad that I did not just marry on my own will. Mike did,but it's never got in my way of loving him. He was man enough to say I messed up and I'm sorry.

We attend First Baptist of Wilmer. God is moving there and it's really great to see people receive Jesus. We love our Pastor and the people there,though we don't know a lot of them. It's a huge church with over a thousand on roll,but only about 700 on Sunday's and Wednesday's. We have a passion for missions and proclaiming the gospel. I have a passion to tell young women to wait on the man God has for you and not just "date" to date. I also have a passion to help women see their God given,Biblical role as a woman and wife. Right now, my passion is my husband and my son. I long for Daniel to love God and Jesus more than life! I long to teach him scriptures and tell him all about God and have him ask us questions about Jesus.

The next season of our life begin. Pregnancy. We weren't married very long and we found out we were expecting. In May I found out I was pregnant. I was terrified,horrified,and scared to death. Oh how I did not think I could handle the labor and delivery part. I just wasn't good with babies,kids,or any sort. I wasn't patient enough and all the kids I saw were just so horrible. I thought God,what are you doing? Again second guessing the One who put the heavens into place. God finally took the fears away and we enjoyed the pregnancy. To read the labor and delivery of Daniel go here. On January 26,2008 Daniel Paul Strickland was born. God really taught us to trust Him not matter what and He would supply our every need. Wow, I'm telling you,when you truly let go and let God it is amazing what He will do. He gave us free rent,paid for Daniel's way here without insurance,and wrote off all the bills after the c-section. We have such a testimony in only the 2 years we've been married. Our life verse is Philippians 4:19 "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." We have decided to let God decide how many little ones we have. We did a lot of things different with Daniel and don't regret it. We don't do things just because it's what you do,we research and seek God's guidance and counsel. It's caused some rifts in the water,but we will do what God says and not man. Our commands come from God. We are happy to be trail blazers,as my Doula called us. So we're just seeking God's direction in our life. Wherever He leads we will go.

God is just so awesome! He is my Provider,my Healer,my Refuge,my All in all. He is everything I need and want! I'm so thankful for the life He has blessed me with.

Don't forget to check out Chelsey @ Joyfully Living For His Glory

13 comments:

LAURIE said...

Thank you for sharing with us over AT THE WELL today. It was great to get to know you alittle better. What a great testimony of how God saved your Dad and no doubt God had a plan for you and your husband. God is never late, and not too early but always on time! -blessings, Laurie

momstheword said...

Hi! It's been great getting to know you! My parent's relationship was similar to yours. My mom quietly loved and submitted to my dad and he, too, became a believer. Now he's in Heaven waiting for us! Your little boy is precious!

Patti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patti said...

I bet you have a gorgeous Southern accent!!!

How wonderful that your daddy recently put his faith in Jesus. Having unsaved parents myself, I know the pain of realizing that your parents may not be with you in eternity. Praise God that He has drawn your daddy unto himself.

Betsy Markman said...

Thanks for sharing your story!

Liberty said...

That is so awesome about your dad! Have you heard of the book "Emotional Purity". It is a good one for girls to read if you ever lead a study on it. What were the books you read that you were referring to?

What an incredible testimony!

Jennifer said...

You have a beautiful story and an amazing testimony to God's faithfulness!

Thanks for sharing.

Christina said...

You have such an amazing life testimony. It's impossible to know you without seeing God's hand moving in miraculous ways. I'm so lucky to have you as a friend. May God continue to write your story!

Rebecca said...

I's so glad Chelsea had us do this topic! What a great story of reconciliation. And you DO have a beautiful son!

Joyfull said...

Thank you for sharing today more about you. It is so good to hear how God works in the lives of people, especially putting them together as He did you and your husband. I enjoyed reading about you and getting to know you better!

LauraLee Shaw said...

Oh, love these details! I'll tell you, it touched my heart so much to hear of your dad accepting Jesus Christ after your mama lived out the life right in front of him all those years. Praise the Lord!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Hello my friend. I had to throw a little award love your way. Come and claim it!
Hugs.
Kim

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Hi Heather,
If you haven't figured it out already you should be able to right click and save image as for the award and then you can copy and paste the rules. Then just upload the picture on your post. Let me know if that helps.
Hugs.
Kim