10.30.2008

Thankful Thursday-5 Senses and the Word

I love Thankful Thursdays! Head over to Iris @ Grace Alone for her post. While worshipping the Lord this morning, I decided that I would write on my thankfulness for His Word. I wasn't sure what Iris would pick for the topic yet. She picked a great one,the 5 senses. Something I would have never thought of,but it is something we overlook lots of times.

I am thankful for my sight... I have worn glasses since I was in the 4th grade (contacts now),so without them my vision is not good at all. I am thankful that there is something I can wear to improve my vision,that I can see God's beautiful creation around me,and that I can read God's Word.

I am thankful for my hearing... I can hear beautiful music that ministers to my heart,hear my adorable sons voice,and my husband's endearing voice.

I am thankful for my ability to touch... I can feel God's beauty in my arms by hugging loved ones,I can feel God's Word by touching the Bible. I mean have you ever just run your fingers over God's Word?

I am thankful for my ability to taste... I can taste delicious foods,sweet tea,and chocolate.

I am thankful for my ability to smell... I can smell fresh cut grass,honeysuckles,and coffee just made in the mornings.

Those are all things we take fore granted. So many people can't do those things or don't have those things to see,hear,feel,taste,or smell.

I'm thankful for God's Word. I was thinking this morning where would I be without it? I would be in a pit and very lost. The Word is something else we take fore granted. We have 2 or 3 Bibles around the house and think nothing of it. Whereas in some countries, they tear pages out of one Bible and pass them out. I do not want to take His Word fore granted. It has gotten me where I am and has kept me from lots of situations.

God's Word is a lamp unto my feet and it lights my path when it has become dark. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105 There have been many times that I did not know what to do and no one's counsel helped me,but the Word guided me and led me to the place I should have been.

God's Word is my truth. I can read all the books in the world,but if I do not place the Bible as my compass then I will be truly lost in all ways. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. John 17:17 The Word is to sanctify us. It cleanses us of our sin nature daily as we read and thrive on it. It is the only truth and absolute truth.

This is the one that I love! God's Word is alive! It is powerful! It is breathing! For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 The words jump off the page at me sometimes. It cuts through all the junk in our life and can breath life into our dry places. It discerns the very thoughts in our head and the very things that are in our heart! How amazing is that?!

The Word is also so sweet! It can put a taste in your mouth and in your heart like no other. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward. Psalm 19:9-11 I've heard the illustration of a cow and how it will chew the grass,then swallow it,and regurgitate it and chew on it more. Isn't that what we should do with the Word? Chew on it spiritually and do it everyday,bringing it back to our minds?

We are told to meditate on the Word and not let it depart from our mouth. This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. Joshua 1:8 With the busy world we live in or so often create ourselves, it can be hard to meditate on the Word. Our minds our filled with other stuff,our head never stops spinning. We wonder why we are stressed? We have to stop,spend time with the Lord,and then go about our day. That doesn't mean we have one "alone" time with the Lord. We are to pray without ceasing daily,something I've learned to do with a baby. So I'm thankful for the Word. When all else fails the Word will not fail. The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever. Isaiah 40:8

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Colossians 3:16

Don't forget to check out Iris @ Grace Alone. Have a wonderful Thursday!

9 comments:

Denise said...

Such a precious list of blessings sweetie, thanks for sharing.

Kathy C. said...

Beautiful post. Something must be in the air this morning, as I also wrote my post on being thankful for the Word of God. :)
Blessings!

Jennifer said...

Awesome post. We have so much to be thankful for.

Have a blessed TT!!

Susanne said...

Love this list!! How often do we take these things for granted, especially the POWER in the Word!! Thanks for sharing!!

Grammy said...

Wonderful post.
Have a great week.
Grammy

Patti said...

Indeed, yes, the five senses are something to be thankful for. How easy it is to take them for granted and to never give thanks for them.

Kay said...

What a nice post! We all have so much to be thankful for!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

What a great post! I am so thankful for the Word of God. I love the word picture of the cow chewing the cud. May we meditate on His word day and night. I, too, started wearing glasses in the fourth grade and now wear contacts. It is a bother, but I am grateful that I can see. Thanks for the great post!

Jennifer said...

I wanted to let you know that I tagged you over on my blog for a "little...get to know you fun". Hope you get a chance to join in.

Have a blessed Lord's Day!