10.27.2008

At the Well- Arise and Shine: Being an Exceptional Mother in the Midst of the Ordinary

Today our host at the well is Lisa @ A Second Generation of Homeschooling. She has a wonderful topic! Arise and Shine: Being an Exceptional Mother in the Midst of the Ordinary is her topic. Wow, that's a thought provoking topic.

I've only been married for almost 2 years (will be December 4th) and only been a mother for 9 months and 1 day,so I don't have as much experince as most of you ladies do. I was raised in a home where Mother did the housework,cookin,and tending to the children. Although I never really started helping with housework or cooking until I was in college, that was a joy to me and still is. I love to keep my house neat and clean! The hard part is being a mother. I did not like babies because they didn't seem to like me. I wasn't patient enough for children either. All kids above age 2 just really were horrible to be around. They did not listen at all,were terrors,and just mean. I never thought I wanted kids to be honest. Thankfully, God let me see that kids are the way they are because of parents and when it's your child you can raise them in a Godly manner. It's hard to not get whiney and be selfish with an infant. Wow, some days I'm ashamed of myself. He's only a baby and he does need me. I mean cleaning the house to me is like therapy,so it's not a big deal, and my husband isn't very demanding. Wow, but Daniel is. He needs us more than I've seen other babies do their parents and he doesn't like to play alone much. So I've been really working on not thinking of it as an interruptions if I'm doing something and Daniel needs or wants me. I don't do well with lots of stress and I get overwhelmed to easy. I let myself get overwhelmed too easy. God wants me not to be selfish at all. I am to be a servant to my God,my family,my friends,and to others. What better way to help me acheive that, than give me something that has to have me. He can't go to the bathroom by himself,but needs changing. He can't feed himself,but needs me to feed it. He can't do most things without me doing it for him or helping him. I'm not complainig by no means, I asked God to help me be moldable about 3 or 4 years ago and well, He's doing that. Not only with Daniel,but with other circumstances in my life. I'm not sure how that went along with these questions,but it's what I felt I needed to write. So I'll answer the questions now.

1. What daily tasks seem mundane or monotonous to you? Oh that would have to be washing and drying clothes. eek! We don't have a washer or dryer in our apartment,but there is one on site. It just gets old to be honest! Ha! I know we have to keep our clothes clean,but sometimes I'm tempted to re-wear shirts over and over again.

2. How can we change our outlook when completing these tasks? Definately by seeing that all we do is for the glory of God and it's what He has given us to do. We'll answer for what we have done with our gifts and talents. That does concern our home,husband,and children too!

3. What impact do these tasks have on our husband and children? How does it make a difference in their lives? Well, if my house is messy and stinky to the point that's it just nasty,then my husband will certainly not be happy. He's not a neat freak by a long stretch,but he does like the house to be at least picked up for company and to smell good for him. For Daniel he needs to see me as his mother keeping the home and teaching him so he will know what his wife is supposed to be like. Not everything about my personality so to say,but just being a Titus 2 woman,wife,and mother.

4. Is it okay to focus on earthly recognition when completing these tasks for our loved ones, or is receiving an eternal reward sufficient? Which does Jesus think is more important? Shouldn’t that be our focus, as well? I don't think it's wrong to want your husband to tell you thank you for what you do,but to do it just for that reason is selfish and self gain. That's not what Jesus taught in scripture.

I really enjoyed this topic! Thanks Lisa! Don't forget to check our her post @ A Second Generation of Homeschooling.

Here are some scriptures that I start my morning off with.

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10

I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.
Psalm 101:3

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Galatians 5:16

Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
Proverbs 18:21

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.
Psalm 18:30

I really enjoyed this topic. Thank Lisa! Don't forget to check her out @ A Second Generation of Homeschooling. Be blessed!

7 comments:

LauraLee Shaw said...

Great practical insights and I loved the Scriptures at the end!

LAURIE said...

I loved your thoughts AT THE WELL today. and the scriptures were great too. Thanks for sharing from your heart today. -Blessings, Laurie

Liberty said...

Yes, I am on bloop as well. I am innersanctuaryitw.

I just want to encourage you. My first son was a VERY fussy baby. He was pretty much attached to the breast from day one and he rarely slept. I was a CLEAN FREAK before him and I had to let A LOT of things go. He is now 7 and it was worth it. When I think back, I don't think of all of the times that my house wasn't clean. I cherish the precious baby and toddler memories. When you start adding more kids is when it becomes a real challenge. By the 3rd kid, a spotless house is a joke. :)

Like you, I never really desired to have kids, but God sure knew that I needed them so I could grow more in him. :) I have friends that have 6-8 kids and they always joke and say that God knew that they needed more growing to do than other moms so that is why He kept giving them more kids. This is what I know...it gets easier and easier every year.

Betsy Markman said...

Oh, I wish I could say that housework was like therapy! I need therapy to get me to DO housework...

Naughty, naughty. I didn't really say that. :$

Rebecca said...

I enjoyed reading this, it reminded me of when mine were under a year and I felt like I couldn't keep up with anything. There is nothing to purge out our selfishness like having kids! We mirror Christ as we give up our lives for our little ones. It can be a shock to your system, but remember it IS just a season. That first year is the most time consuming. The older they get, the more they can do on their own, and the easier it becomes. Even when I had my second one, I forgot and the whole first year seemed so overwhelming. But then she got older and voila! it calmed down. Enjoy your season, let God teach you the most He can, and then rejoice when you get to move on to the next season. :)

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Great post. The gym is therapy to me lol.
I'm with you on the kid thing. I was the youngest and therefor never around kids and never enjoyed baby sitting. Being a Mom was hard at first. The Lord sure does have a way of turning things around doesn't He?
Thanks for sharing your heart today.
Blessings,
Kim

Anonymous said...

This is a great read! I can really relate.