12.04.2008

Thankful Thursday-Love and Healing

I look forward to this day each week. I begin thinking ahead of time what I am thankful for. Thank you Iris for starting this. You can visit her blog Grace Alone for more. That blog is truly a blessing.



I've got 2 special things I'm thankful for this Thursday.



1. For my husband,Mike. We said 'I Do' 2 years ago on this cold December day. It was one of the best days of my life. I really can't believe that I am married,something I dreamed of being since I was a teenage girl. I looked so hard for my prince,instead of letting God bring him to me. I finally did just that and at the age of 22 I begin dating Mike. We were friends for 4 years prior to us dating. Our first date was October 7,2005,the week after my sister got married. He was so nervous and so was I. I couldn't figure out why I was nervous much less 'strick-9' (his nick name haha). I had no idea that fate had begun for us that night. Within 7 months we were engaged. I remember the day I knew he was my future husband. It was October 22nd, at Jennifer's wedding(friend of mine). I was a bridesmaid for her wedding that day. They played God Blessed the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts(?) and it hit me. I loved Mike and I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. Yes, it was quick,but I knew it. He knew about 3 1/2 years ago there was something special about me,but obstacles came in the way. So we never dated until then,almost 4 years later. On June 2, 2006 he proposed to me at Macaroni Grill in Mobile,AL before we went inside with a group of our friends. Wow, we were so happy!! I knew he was proposing,but I was still nervous. In November we finally set a date, December 4th. We opted to not have the traditional wedding. No wedding gown,no reception,no one but us. I didn't want to plan anything. All I wanted to do was say I do. We had been through enough stress and I saw weddings as stress. Our families were okay with it. They blessed our marriage which was important. A close friend of ours who is an ordained Pastor married us with his wife as a witness. We had a beautiful cake and she took pictures. We had it rough financially,but it didn't damper our honeymoon bliss. It's been wonderful ever since. Have there been arguments? Why yes. Have there been hurt feelings? Of course. Have there been hard times? Yes. One thing I can say, is there hasn't been much strife between the two of us. We have had a lot thrown our way to be so young and newly married,but we knew if the devil ever got strife between us,we'd end up like so many other couples. I am SO thankful for my husband. He provides for me physically and spiritually. He allows me to stay home and did before we even had Daniel. He makes me laugh with his humor and makes me cry with his sweetness. He says he isn't romantic,but I beg to differ. Who defines romantic anyway? He surprised me last night by taking me to my favorite restaurant,Olive Garden. He's done so much for me,that all I can do is shower him with love and God's grace. God really did know what He was doing all those years He wouldn't let me marry someone else. All I needed to do was trust Him and His ways. He has been so faithful to us. When we didn't know where money would come from,God supplied it. When we weren't sure how to raise a baby,God has showed us. We are a team. God is the captain,Mike is the co-captain,and I'm the player. He is my head and I respect him. He loves me like Christ loves the church. I am a blessed woman.


Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Ephesians 5:25-31


2. I am thankful that God healed Daniel. He was sick and God took care of him. We so often take fore granted healing. Healing doesn't have to be some one's arm growing back or even being healed of cancer. When you ask God to heal you of a cold and He does it,well that's something to praise Him for too. I used to look for the big things,but nothing is big or small to God. Some don't believe in healing. I'm not sure what they would call it, I guess getting better. My father's back was healed back in June. He's always had back problems,but God healed it. He has no more trouble with it. All it took was him asking God to heal him and He did it instantly. So whatever faith or denomination you are, you get healed. Whether you want to use that term or not,that's your choice. But don't forget to give God the glory for it.


But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:5


I pray you have a wonderful Thursday and don't forget to check out Iris @ Grace Alone.


12 comments:

Susanne said...

Happy Anniversary!!! So great to read how God has blessed you, sweet sister!! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary :)

Laurie Ann said...

Happy Anniversary! Loved the post and the Scripture you shared with us. Oh, what a great list of blessings! Happy Thankful Thursday!

LAURIE said...

Happy Anniversary. What a neat love story you guys have. What a wonderful list of thanks that you shared with us...blessings, Laurie

Sunny Shell said...

Happy Anniversary sweetie!

Jim and I got married the same way...God set us up! :-) Way better than us trying to set ourselves up for sure!

And I agree with you, being thankful for God's healing hand is something we can easily forget.

Bless you sweetheart,
Sunny

Denise said...

Happy Anniversary, sweet blessings to you.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful reasons to be thankful. :) Happy anniversary to you both!

katylinvw said...

happy anniversary! :) congrats on two years! - thanks for "stopping by" my place - we'd love to have you join us any time for MHR Fridays!

Patti said...

Rejoicing with you on your 2nd wedding anniversary. Truly, every good gift is from above.

I'm glad you were able to figure out how to get the Christmas template. Very pretty!!

Blessings,
Patti

Kay said...

Happy Anniversary! I just wanted to say the whole huge wedding thing is kinda overrated, I think. Because really the wedding that I had was mostly just stressful. Anyway what wonderful things to be thankful for!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

I'm a little late(usually the case for me), but Happy Anniversary!

I loved reading your story. A good husband is a treasure to be respected and adored. May we never forget what a blessing they are.

Thanks for sharing!
And I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Hippie Housewife said...

Heather, about your question on Advent information, here is a good website for understanding Advent. Advent begins the fourth Sunday before Christmas and is a period of time in which to prepare for the upcoming celebration of Christ's birth. There are many ways to do so. Some people use an Advent wreath, some use a Jesse Tree, and some use an Advent calendar in which they put a daily Bible verse and an activity or gift for the family. Whatever you do to observe the Advent season, the purpose is to more intentionally prepare your heart for the celebration of the birth of Christ and for His future second coming.

There is more useful information here, here, here, and here.