12.22.2008

Mary, what were you thinking?

26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.
30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.
32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
Luke 1:26-35

I wonder what was going through Mary's head when the angel told her she would conceive of the Holy Spirit. Especially her not being formally married. It said she asked the angel how could it be since she had not known a man,but I wonder what else went through her mind? She was going to be looked at as shameful and sinful. How ironic? The girl who would bring the Lord Jesus into this world looked at as shameful and sinful. The very thing that would save people from their sins,would be looked at as disgraceful. Wow. I wonder if abortion was around during that time,would Mary have aborted Jesus? Can you imagine that? Where has our society gone? What is our society thinking? I can't imagine her having to tell Joseph that she was pregnant. I've always wondered what she was thinking and how she was feeling. I am reading the birth of Jesus part by part this week and just letting things really sink in. I'll post on it through Wednesday. I am so thankful and grateful for the birth of Christ. A tiny baby would bring my redemption. Mind blowing.

God Bless!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I know! Our traditions have us thinking so highly of Mary (rightfully so - the Lord Himself called her highly favored) but in the excitment we often skip right past the fact that she was 100% human, born with a sin nature, and probably the same age a lot of us were when we were at the peak of our immaturity. I think Mary's life is wonderful testimony of God providing perfectly what His children need in order to do the good work He has ordained for them.