9.16.2008

A Wife's Biblical Submission- Being Faithful

I am doing a study on submission over @ A Wife's Biblical Submission. It's really been a blessing to me and the others, as well. If you haven't went over there yet,do so, it will bless you and help you as you seek to be a Godly,submissive,loving wife.

I wanted to share something I did while I was doing a study by Elizabeth George called A Woman's Walk With God: Growing In the Fruit of the Spirit. It was really amazing! In one chapter she talked about struggles to be faithful daily. I think this can be applied to Proverbs 31:14 "She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar." Sunny did an excellent job talking about how to prepare meals and just be like merchant ships in our home for our families. We are to be faithful in our service to God and part of that service is taking care of our families how God would like us too.

Elizabeth pointed out some areas where you can struggle with being faithful. It really blessed me and help me see where I was being unfaithful to the Lord ( I had no baby at this time) and my husband. I'll list the ones that she listed and then I want to share the 3 I picked and how to combat being unfaithful.

Tiredness- says 'I can't do it.'
Laziness- says 'I don't want to do it.'
Hopelessness- says 'It don't matter if I do it.'
Procrastination- says 'I'll do it later.'
Rationalization- says 'Someone else will do it.'
Apathy- says 'I don't care if I do it.'
Rebellion- says 'I won't do it.'

She talked about her struggles with them and how she deals with them. The only way to deal with any of those is the Word of God. His Word says in Paslm 51:10 "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." That's something we should ask daily, I know I have too. We have to die to the flesh daily and the above things are born out of our sin nature.

Now, here are the 3 I struggle with the most.

Laziness- This is a mental struggle. It says, "I don't want to do it." It whines I don't want to clean the house... I don't want to cook..... I don't want to get involved in ministry... I don't want to do my Bible study."

Those are all my struggles. Laziness is referred to as slothful in the Bible and it is mentioned 17 times in the Old and New Testaments. I mean, wouldn't it be so much better if I could just snap my fingers and the house be clean,dinner be cooked,and my son be put to sleep? Some days I am very lazy. Other days I'm not. Most of you know being a wife and mother is very demanding. It's not bad,but you are needed 24/7. I'm having to get used to it and allow God to just help me to relax and be faithful in this area. Being a housewife is honoring God and serving Him as He has commanded me. In saying that, I mean keeping my house tidy (maybe not spotless),taking care of my husband (by cooking for him,helping him get ready for work,etc.),and taking care of my baby. That doesn't take the place of doing my Bible study and praying everyday,it is just another way of serving the Lord.

Here are some scripture that helps me:

Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Colossians 3:2

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
II Corinthians 4:18

"He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster."
Proverbs 18:9


Procrastination- It says, "I'll prepare for class later.... I'll prepare to cook later.... I'll finish or start that chapter later.... I'll wash and dry clothes later.... I'll bath my baby later... I'll do my Bible reading later."

This would have to be my number one struggle! I have always struggled with this. Once I get on a roll with doing things on time or when they just need to be done, I'll slip up one day with procrastinating and that cycle will go on a few days. I would love more me time,but that's selfish. Procrastination will never get the job done and is a vicious habit to form.

Here is a scripture that helps me:

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest."
Ecclesiastes 9:10


Tiredness-This a physical struggle,unlike laziness,which is a mental struggle. It says, "I can't get up... I can't do it.... I can't make it to church.... I can't run errands... I can't study... I'm too tired to clean up or cook... I'm too tired to pray."

I really didn't know what tired meant until I got pregnant and had a baby. Before being pregnant I would stay up late with my husband and be too tired in the morning to do the things I needed to do. Staying in that warm,cozy bed with Mike was just much more appealing. Aren't we are like this sometimes? Most days I'm beat after taking care of Daniel,plus the house and getting to bed at midnight. So I'm too tired to get up in the mornings,but I just have to remember to ask God for strength and to help me to feel rested that day.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
Philippians 4:13

Our call as children of God is to be diliegent in our work for Him,living for Him,and praising Him. Our call as wives and mothers is to be diligent in taking care of our husbands,children,and our home. It can get overbearing,so I encourage you to pick some scripture out to combat each area you may have a weakness in. I pray this will encourage and help some sister.

Don't forget to check out the study at A Women's Biblical Submission.

5 comments:

Sunny Shell said...

WOW sista....mmmmm...mmmm...GOOD! Feasting at the Lord's table..THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! You just laid a beautiful feast as you shared God's word all over this post! I LOVE IT! I tasted, and girl....let me tell 'ya! That's some good FOOD, spiritual food!

I love that you're so open to share all that God taught you and how He's gifted you! You're a sure blessings sister, you really are!

It's fine that you linked it to this week's lesson, but if you wanted to, it's okay (in the future) to link whatever posts God lays on your heart to whichever lesson it refers to.

You see, there are many sisters who are coming after you and will have the privilege of reading what you've written. This study will remain online until the Lord says different. That means there will be many, many sisters coming along that will be blessed by all that God has given you to share! So don't worry about them having to "look all over the place" :-) b/c there are many who are (and have just this week) coming along after you. :-)

You're just a GIANT blessing to me sister! You really are!

Much love to you sister,
Sunny

Sheila said...

Hi Heather. Thanks for the mention of Bound4Life. I hadn't heard of it. I visited their site and was so encouraged to see what God is doing in the hearts of so many in our nation. May His mercy cover us!!!

Blessings to you!
Sheila

Luv 2 Kreate said...

I just signed up for the Biblical Submission study. I was looking at the blogs of the other participants. I enjoyed reading yours. I to just finished Elizabeth Georges book A Woman's Walk With God. I found it to be a blessing.

I have enjoyed visiting you :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather,
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest."
Ecclesiastes 9:10
What a great verse! I struggle with being diligent. This is one of the areas in which I feel God is convicting me. I will have to memorize this verse.
Thank you for sharing. :)

My Walk With God said...

Hello Heather!!

Appreciate your heart for being so open and in turn drink in the Living Water.

Indeed God has blessed your heart with humility to share your struggles so we in turn will also learn from your circumstances.

As a matter of fact, I can relate with some of your stuggle, esp. "tiredness", because I live too far from my workplace, I really feel so much tiredness after a working day.

Second, with procrastination, I have a certain goal I wanted to pursue on weekends but I tend to delay because I want to rest and relax...

Let's continue to pray for each other.

Protected in God's Loving Arms,
Bonnie