9.15.2008

At the Well- Purity

I enjoyed everything that Tracy wrote on purity. She had some great wisdom that she shared. Go check it out,if you haven't already @ Thirsty For Him.

I know this is a touchy subject and I am not trying to condemn. This is just how I view it and how I believe God wants us to live. I didn't have much time to look up the meanings of purity,but being pure isn't hard to figure out. It's being the example Jesus was here on earth. It not only has to do with what we watch,read,or listen too. It has to do with our attitude,dress,conversation,and actions.

I am very big on what I watch,read,and listen too. I believe Jesus made enough references about what goes in will come out in the Bible,that it is something we should take seriously. Years ago when I was a young teen I really didn't think about what I put into my mind through music or t.v. I listened to country music and watched fearful movies. As I got to be an older teen I started listening to alternative,pop,rock,and rap music. I tried to stop listening to it once,but it wasn't out of a true heart so it didn't last. When I was about 20 or 21 God really put it heavy on my heart to let all of my life glorify Him and to let go of the junk in my life. Thankfully, that time I was true about it. I stopped listening to anything but Christian music and even that is filtered. I also stopped watching any shows that have cursing,sex (of any type),witchcraft,to be honest anything filthy. Filthy isn't defined by my standards,but by the Word of God. So, needless to say, we don't watch much t.v. at all. It's really not that bad though. We even filter some of the "Christian" stuff out there. I filled my mind with enough junk that I had to filter out in years before. I only want my mind filled with God's Word now. I think it's very important to teach this to our kids. Like Sunny said if you teach them to love God's Word.

Our Spirit is weak by nature beacause of our sinful flesh. You feed your Spirit the Word of God in order to grow stronger in that area. Whichever you feed the most,will grow more. By abstaining from things of the world, we can put in God's Word and be pure before Him. If your love for God grows everyday and your intimacy with Him becomes deeper, you'll not do it out of legalism,but rather out of pure love and want too for and from God. Be blessed! Check out the Tracy's thoughts on this at Thirsty for Him.

Here are some verses to dwell on.

3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me. Psalm 101:3

18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: Matthew 15:18-19


15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. I Peter 1:15-16

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33

3 comments:

Sunny Shell said...

Heather,

I so wish you were here with me, b/c I'm doing a "go Heather, go Heather" dance! WAHOOO!!! You go girl!

WOW! I LOVE the Scriptures you laid out here for us! It's SO obvious what you've been puttin' in your heart girl...the Word of God...b/c it's just a pouring out!

Oh hey, I just got "tagged". So I decided to tag all the sisters in the Bible study. I figured we could study together and play together as well, so here's the link:


Tagged!

So thankful for you precious sister!
Sunny

LauraLee Shaw said...

You are so right, and your Scriptures are perfect for this! Thank you for sharing these truths. ;)

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

Awesome ideas, Heather!

I love coming to the well and "drinking" in so much wisdom! Isn't it funny that we can all take the topic and come up with something a little different? I am so thankful to be part of it.

Thanks for stopping by and such wonderful, kind comments.

Blessings, Sister!