I said I was taking a break,I have been,but I will continue to input on At the Well on Monday's.
I am grateful for the ladies I've met through blogging and through At the Well. Laurie Ann @ A Magnolia's Heart Beat's had a powerful post on the words we speak. Wow, God really convicted me about somethings. He is so great and it's wonderful to have the Holy Spirit living inside of me to convict me of my sinful nature.
Here are some questions Laurie Ann posted. I'm going to answer them honestly,then give another spin on the words we speak.
1. Do the words you speak reflect your reverence for Christ?
2. Would you consider your speech to be self-controlled and pure?
3. Do you find gossip and slander hard or easy to avoid?
1. Wow, what Laurie Ann said was a home run hit to me. I have said so many time I'll pray for you and get so busy,then forget to do so. I have caught myself saying My Lord a lot too. I have been trying to get better about praying on the spot for those I tell I will do so. I'm trying to think of other words I can say that are funny,yet not anywhere near taking the Lord's name in vain.
2. As far as profanity goes, I don't cuss at all. I have recently stopped myself saying crap and I'm trying to stop saying dang. It's such a common word here in the deep south and it's hard to break saying it.
3. Now, that I live away from family and friends I don't know if it's harder or easier. I only talk to my Mother on the phone and sometimes she'll start telling me about so and so,I'll have to change the subject,though I don't all the time. I used to find it easy to avoid.
Laurie Ann @ A Magnolia's Heart Beat's said some great things! I wasn't expecting that spin on the subject. I am so glad that's such diversity among the ladies there! Go check out her blog post on it!
Now, here's what comes to my mind when I think about the words we speak. Life or death. Blessing or cursing. We can do not only damage to people we do not like with our tongue,but to people we love a lot. I know everyone has heard the saying, 'You are what you eat.' Well, I believe in the saying, 'You are what you say.' This verse was talked about much at the church I attended before I got married. "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21 I have it hid in my heart and I believe what it says. If you constantly speak death(negative) over things,people, and situations they will be what you say they are. If you speak life(positive) over things,people,and situations they will do the same. Let's say for example, you are having a hard time with a relationship in your life and you constantly are saying, "It's never going to change. It will always be so hard or dry or bad." Well, it will continue to be so. Remember the saying, 'Can't never could"? Well, it's true. If you keep speaking how bad your kids are and how horrible they are. Bank on it, they'll keep being that way. You have to speak life and blessing over your family and your situations! You cannot keep speaking death and cursing! If you do, it definately will not get better. You know someone who has cancer,don't speak death over them. Pray Your will be done,Father. Our tongue is powerful! If we don't bridle it with God's Word and the Holy Spirit, it can do major damage! I know some that don't take this verse as literal as my husband and I do,but we take it literal. Our tongue should bring praise and honor to God! It should encourage and comfort others! There is a time for rebuke and correction,but that is still done in love.
"For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned."
Matthew 12:37
This is another verse that was talked about a lot at the church I attended before I married. You cannot take back something you have said. No matter what you do,the words are still there in the mind(s) of the one(s) you said them too. You can re-do much in life,but what comes out of your mouth is forever etched into eternity. You will either be found just or be found condemned for the words you speak. We are called to be kind to one another. Words can uplift or trample someone. "A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!" Proverbs 15:23
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
I Peter 1:15-16
Lastly, we are called to be holy in all manner of conversation. Like Laurie Ann pointed out,it's not just about cussing. You can use substitutes that are just as bad. Crap,dang,heck,and others are just substitutes. Oh my gosh,oh my goodness,those are substitutes also. I was in a bad habit of saying OMGosh all the time years ago,thankfully with God's help I have stopped. Not only is it about the words we say and what those words are,but what we are talking about. I believe this verse is also talking about what we talk about. Gossip,slander,lying,filth,etc. It's so easy to get caught up in the first two: gossip and slander. Wow. It is so easy,but we have to keep the scripture hid in our heart,as David said, so that we may not sin against God. So if you have some problems with the words you speak,ask God for help. He is gracious and forgiving! He is all powerful! Don't forget to go over to A Magnolia's Heart Beat's and be blessed by her post!
Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
Proverbs 4:24
The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
Proverbs 8:13
The wicked is snared by the transgression of his lips: but the just shall come out of trouble.
Proverbs 12:13
The words of a man's mouth are as deep waters, and the wellspring of wisdom as a flowing brook.
Proverbs 18:4
The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.
Proverbs 18:8
Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled.
Proverbs 18:20-21
Thanksgiving Pictures
-
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving! This is all of the pictures,but it's the
best ones! Daniel had fun with his cousins,Grandparents,Aunts,and Uncles.
Aaron j...
16 years ago










5 comments:
I am glad that you came back to your computer to join us AT THE WELL today. Thank you for sharing your heart with us today and I agree with you about the words we use. I also have taken a stand in our home about some of the choice words we use, even though they are not "bad" words they are in my opinion just substitute words for the "bad" ones. I am glad to see other women taking the same stand in their homes. -Blessings, Laurie
Thanks for being with us At the Well today. I love the teaching and wisdom you've shared here. Some powerful stuff! Being a Mississippi girl, I undertstand how hard those "southern substitutes" are to break. It's great that you mentioned speaking good words and not condemning ones, too. I enjoyed your post!
What a thought-provoking entry, Heather. I so agree with you on the power our words have, especially in our relationships. Our careless or negative words can cause so much hurt and damage, the effects of which can be seen for generations.
Those are some great scriptures. I'm so glad I got to hear your heart and wisdom on the subject. Enjoy your break!
Hey sweetie!
I wanted to let you know that I made a couple of important announcements on the Bible Study blog. We also have quite a few new members and I'd love for you to take the time to say "hey" to them and give them a big, warm, sister in Christ welcome!
Bless you dear one,
Sunny
Post a Comment