8.10.2008

The Persecuted Church


Many of you are aware of my passion for the persecuted church and missions. I want to talk some about the VOM representative that came out to a friends house in June.

First I want to list the hostile and restricted nations for ya'll.


Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
Psalm 2:8

Resticted countries- this includes countries where government policy or practice prevents Christians from obtaining Bibles or other Christian literature. Also included are countries with government-sanctioned circumstances or anti-Christian laws that lead to Christians being harassed,imprisoned,killed or deprived of possessions or liberties because of their witness.

1. Cuba
2. Mauritania
3. Morocco
4. Algeria
5. Belarus
6. Libya
7. Egypt
8. Sudan
9. Tunisia
10. Syria
11. Somalia
12. Coromos
13. Eritrea
14. Yemen
15. Oman
16. United Arab Emirates
17. Qatar
18. Kuwait
19. Iraq
20. Saudi Arabia
21. Iran
22. Uzbekistan
23. Turkenistan
24. Tajikistand
25. Afganistan
26. Pakistan
27. Nepal
28. Bhutan
29. Laos
30. China
31. Bangladesh
32. North Korea
33. Vietnam
34. Myanmar (Burma)
35. Malaysia
36. Brunei
37. Azerbaijan
38. Maldives
39. Nigeria
40. Tibet

Hostile Countries- this includes large areas in nations where governments consistently attempt to provide protection for the Christian population,but Christians are victims of violence because of their witness.

1. Chiapas (Mexico)
2. Columbia
3. Turkey
4. Ethiopia
5. Souther Sudan
6. India
7. Indonesia
8. Sri Lanka
9. Mindanao (Philippines)
10. Cyprus (Turkey Republic of Northern Cyprus)
11. Lebanon
12. West Bank (Gaza)
13. Chechnya (Russia)
14. Jordan (Due to increased hostilities and persecution in Jordan, we have included it as a hostile nation this year)

Sometimes when I think about this I'm speechless. I had no idea people were imprisoned for their faith. I was introduced to Voice of the Martyr's by a friend. I subscribed to their magazine and I was just shocked. BTW- here's the site to VOM http://www.persecution.com/ You can subscribe to their magazine and they have a children's magazine. Since I've been getting the magazines I know how free we really are in America. It is unreal.

I had the privilege to meet a VOM representative June 14th of this year. Her and her husband were at a friends to speak. She told us some of her stories and it was reality to hear her talk about it. My heart burned for those people! They're my brothers and sisters in Christ and my heart is burdened for them. Afterwards, I talked to her about my passion for missions and the persecuted church. I told her I have mixed emotions sometimes about them. Sometimes I feel sorrow for them and I just want them to be able to worship without persecution. Then other times I am jealous because they get to be so radical for Jesus. They literally risk their lives daily to just worship the Living God. She said something to me that really I had never thought about. She said, 'Heather, do you think they enjoy being persecuted with intensity?' I didn't answer because out of my foolishness I thought they may. She then said, 'They want to be able to worship freely just as you do,but they can't. They long to be where you are and they are jealous of you guys.' Wow. I never looked at it that way. In my small thinking I thought they took joy in the fact they were being beat,raped,robbed,cursed,and so on because they wouldn't deny Jesus. She said the best thing you can do is pray for their strength and that they stay diligent. She shared many things with us. I was honored to meet her and her husband. She even said God told her she would be a martyr for the faith,but she couldn't stop going to these countries simply because she will die. Oh. But I love that! I love that those people are willing to die for Jesus. It intrigues me. They have that much love for him and his Word. Oh Lord help me to have that much love and passion for You.

I also know a couple who are in China and they do a lot of "illegal" work there. I can't mention their names because it could be danger to them. The man has been imprisoned twice for converting Chinese people to the Lord. I have another friend who left last year to go to China to do "illegal" work too. It really hits home when people you know go to these restricted and hostile countries. I urge you to pray for the persecuted Christians. They need our prayers to endure the agony. If you aren't subscribed to VOM magazine,I encourage you to do so. The kid's magazines are great too! Remember the Christians in China during the Olympics. I am wearing my prayer band and praying for them. I haven't watched any of the Olmypics,I just have mixed feelings about watching them....

Lord, make us aware of our freedoms. Let us not forget there are those who are not free physically,but they are free spiritually. Let us never forget a body can be bound,but the Spirit is free in You.



3 comments:

Hippie Housewife said...

I need this reminder. They do need our prayers so much. I often think how much stronger and deeper their faith must be simply because they are faced with the possibility of death for it - it's so easy for us to be Christians, knowing that we won't face anything more than the occasional word of criticism or judgement for it. We are so fortunate and you're right, we should be grateful for that freedom rather than envious of their martyrdom.

Sheila said...

It encourages me that you have such a heart for the body of Christ in persecuting places too!

BTW, I can't remember if I got back to you or not about the banner for VOM, but I see you figured out how to get it in your sidebar....Awesome!!

This morning while I was worshipping I could almost see Chinese Christians huddled in a house praying. They encourage me sooo much!!!

Blessing to you-
Sheila

Anonymous said...

I subscribed to the magazines and can't wait to get my first ones!

Thanks for educating me about all this.